Saturday, May 2, 2009

March for Babies weekend

Last weekend was the March of Dimes "March for Babies" walk. Last year, my mom and I discussed participating in the walk, as fliers for the event were posted over the NICU scrub-sinks, but the timing didn't work out well last year so we decided to walk this year. Becky, one of my long-time friends (we were in the same first grade class!), decided that she and Colin, her 9 month old son, would walk with us in support of Sam and Ben and all of the other preemies. Sean, her husband, Becky and Colin came to our house on Saturday afternoon and the three boys had a wonderful time playing together. They even spent the night -- the boys' first sleep-over with a friend! It was wonderful -- and while the boys were sleeping, Becky and I shared a bottle of Raspberry beer from Belgium (it was delicious!) and caught up on life. It was wonderful having them visit!

During the night, however, Ben began vomiting. I *hoped* it was simply from too much dairy. The day went great, and my mom and sister came to visit for the day. I can't believe that made that long drive for such a short visit! The walk was a bit unorganized and anti-climactic (for example, they had registration on a floor two levels below the street entry -- but without an available elevator -- so people with toddlers/infants were supposed to park their strollers and then carry their infants down two escalators to register without a free hand? Not good planning), but I am glad we participated!

Sunday night, the stomach virus took out both Sam and me. I was so sick, I ended up in the ER with extreme dehydration and an IV. Sean, Becky, Colin, Roy, my mom and my sister all ended up with it, too! And the health officials are worried about swine flu?? I brought Ben to the doctor on Thursday, and he had lost 8 ounces from what he weighed at their 12 month appointment -- which was FIVE weeks ago. Thankfully, the weight loss wasn't extreme enough to require hospitalization, and I am hopeful that we are on the road to recovery.

1 comment:

Becky said...

That is one nasty bug, I can't believe that everyone got it! Although I suppose since we were thinking it was dairy related we weren't being very careful. I'm still glad we went, it was a great trip even if the walk wasn't the highlight. I love seeing the boys play together.