Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Breaking the addiction ...

Today is Day #2 of the cold-turkey, no more bottles mission. Yesterday went much better than I thought -- minimal crying, and the boys did okay with the sippy cups. We made a game out of them drinking from the cups -- with the exaggerated MMMMMMM and us pretending to take sips. I have tried breaking them one bottle of milk at a time, but it just wasn't working. One boy would have a good day, but his brother wouldn't, and I would eventually give in to the fussy boy, and his brother would see the bottle and want one for himself. Our pediatrician told us to have them off bottles by 15 months, and seeing they are now 12 months adjusted age, it was time for them to go. Plus, with a sister who is a dental hygienist, I didn't want to think about the damage we were doing to their teeth with "extended bottle feeding" -- and besides that, I was SO TIRED of washing bottles! I thought we would run into a real problem without the before-bed bottle, but they seemed to do okay. Hopefully we have broken the addiction! Here is part of our collection of sippy cups -- I had been on the quest to find one that they really liked -- so far, the Playtex Sipsters seem to be their favorite for drinking their milk, and the sippy cups with straws are their favorites for drinking water!

1 comment:

The Hanes Fam said...

ahhh, this collection looks very familiar for some reason. :) Harper loved the Nuby ones in the back for a long time but the way the "nipples" collapse was driving me crazy.
Congrats on breaking them! I was really worried about it too, but as usual these kids have a way of surprising us!