Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Graduation -- but not mine

I have a final this afternoon, and then I am a mere 19 credits from being a lawyer. Graduation is on Sunday afternoon -- I will definitely go to watch all of my friends receive their diplomas, but I have very mixed emotions about this. I met my law school friends 3 years ago at the beginning of a very crazy journey. The 3 years has certainly not been as crazy for most of them (seeing I got married, got pregnant -- with twins, spent some time in the hospital/NICU, etc), but I would love to be walking across the stage with them on Sunday. I planned on leaving the boys at home, but my classmates were appalled that I wouldn't include the boys in the festivities. Apparently, UCONN graduation is fairly informal outdoor ceremony perfect for two little boys. The boys are regulars at the law school, and there seems to be almost a community "ownership" of them -- it isn't that uncommon for students to have children during law school, but my boys were the first set of twins (or so I've been told). The administrators have also used me as an example to other expectant moms -- one of my friends told me that the contact in the Dean's office told her, "Well, you're just having one baby, you should be able to handle the semester, if you want. We had a woman give birth to premature twins halfway through the semester after a hospital stay, and she then finished the semester in the cafeteria of the hospital while her twins were in the NICU." My friend told me she hated me before she even met me!

Any thoughts on what I should do on Sunday? Would you bring Sam and Ben if you were me?

9 comments:

Becky said...

I love you Erin! Seriously, if Super Woman were a real person you would be her!

Jennifer said...

I think you should absolutely bring them :-) It sounds like everybody loves them and may be disappointed if they aren't there! Just 19 more credits -- wow! You've done an incredible job raising the boys and sticking it out in school!

Unknown said...

Yes! I'm sure the boys would love to see their friends graduate! They've also told me that they are really looking forward to when you graduate. Yeah, the boys and I talk all the time. They have some suggestions regarding bed times and more food.

Stephanie said...

Yes. Take them!!!

Kristeen said...

This is completely unrelated, but the picture reminded me. I have a friend at work who has twin girls and she was complaining about their stroller the other day, so I shared your Kohls Story. She was laughing hysterically because she can totally relate. She's a single mom, I really don't know how she does it. Anyway, the picture of the boys in their stroller reminded me.

Nancy said...

I vote a big "yes" to taking Sammy and Benny to your graduation. You are a super Mom and taking them will make your day even more memorable. Your sons will someday enjoy seeing pictures that include them celebrating your big day!

Erin said...

Ha -- I don't know about Superwoman -- I think either stubborn or stupid is a more appropriate term!

I talked to one of the administrators and she told me that while the ceremony is "formal" (or as formal as an outdoor ceremony in the middle of Hartford can actually be!), there are lots of kids there and Sam and Ben would fit right in. So, as long as it isn't raining, I'll take them with me.

Jennifer said...

Woo hoo!! I'm glad to hear that you're planning on taking them!

I nominated your blog for a sisterhood award :-)

Nancy said...

Congratulations Erin! I hope you ALL have a wonderful day!