Monday, July 19, 2010

Extreme Potty Training -- Day 1 review

We ran out of underwear. I thought that might happen -- 14 pairs of underwear might SEEM like a lot -- but when you're only 2 years old, it's hard to remember that peepee goes on the potty. Overall, the day went better than I had expected (ironic, given the first sentence of this post). We only had 3 complete "pee blowouts" and 1 pooping incident, and the rest of the accidents were all very minor (but still required a clothing change).

I wanted to get the boys out of the house this afternoon, but worried about taking them somewhere where I would have to use the public restroom with them -- not because of the public toilets, but because of the logistical issues of having two children who both need to use the potty NOW, and keeping them from touching gross things, like those maxi pad containers, in the bathroom stalls. We decided to visit the husband at his office, and the boys were so proud to go and show off their underwear. I put those wet pad sheet protector things in their carseats in case either of them had an "oops!" while we were on the road -- but we got to the office, they played, they both peed, we went to the grocery store, came home -- and they were both dry! They both peed in their pants as soon as we got inside the house, but I am proud of them for holding it while we were out.

After dinner, they both had an accident, and we were out of underwear. I had had enough, I figured they had probably had enough, so I put on their diapers. After playing for about 30 minutes, Sam told me he needed to use the potty. I took of his diaper, he went to his frog potty, peed -- and then POOPED! The crowing glory of the day! He was very, very proud of himself, and we made a huge deal about this, and Ben was very jealous of all of the attention (and the Hershey Kiss!) that Sam received, so I am hopeful that Ben will get the hang of pooping tomorrow, too.

All in all, a pretty solid first day! And in case you were wondering, the picture is of me taking a little nap on the giant load of laundry I had to deal with after the boys went to bed.

2 comments:

Julie said...

lol...a pretty "solid" day eh?

sounds like things are working. i am interested to find out what happens tomorrow! do you think it could work for a 1yr old? ;)

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I am dreading this...