Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 9 update

I am about ready to declare Extreme Potty Training a success!! We had another fabulous day -- no accidents all day long (despite trips to 2 different playgrounds, the gym daycare, and the ice cream store), Ben told the daycare worker at the gym that he needed to use the potty (and did ALL of his pooping in the potty today!), and Sam woke up from his nap crying for the potty and stayed dry during the rest of his nap. Sam is very no-nonsense about using the bathroom and wearing underwear, and Ben wants a lot of praise and encouragement. After his candy-filled day yesterday, I decided to ration the mini M&Ms -- and he gets 3 mini M&Ms for each poop on the potty -- enough for a "reward," but not nearly as much sugar as he consumed yesterday!

I'm really proud of the boys and of myself for handling the potty training the way we have. The boys were obviously ready, and I have been able to maintain my patience more than I had anticipated. I am very, very tired, though -- to the point where I feel sick. Taking the two boys to the bathroom so often when we are out, dealing with cleaning up the potties so many times each day, etc., is really draining and I feel like I could sleep for a week. I know that potty training is expected to be a draining process, and I was prepared for that. I think it is hard, though, to have been alone with the two potty training boys for 12 hours each day. The boys and I leave for our trip to the shore with my family on Saturday morning, and I will definitely be happy to have so many extra sets of hands that will be able to help with the non-stop potty trips!

Daily potty training advice -- I thought those toddler wipes made by P*mpers were just a huge gimmick -- until I tried wiping Ben with toilet paper -- and realized that the toilet paper just stuck to his little butt and I was left with a mess. The toddler wipes are flushable and premoistened like a baby wipe -- and work wonders!

And -- as you can see in this picture -- did you know that there are HAIR DRYERS in public restrooms?? The boys were beyond excited.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Congratulations!! Great news! I am bookmarking your Extreme Potty Training posts for the future!