Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 5 update

Today was nearly identical to yesterday.

Ben continues to do great for most of the day, but still has isolated accidents. We went to the grocery store this afternoon, and armed with the new potty seat and sanitizer, we used the grocery store potty. Ben was so distracted by everything, he didn't pee -- and then, of course, peed all over his carseat on the way home. I am trying not to get frustrated with him about it -- I don't mind cleaning up the messes or doing the extra laundry, but it does frustrate me that it takes so much time and energy to bring two boys to the bathroom at the grocery store, undress them, keep them from touching gross things in the bathroom, try to get them to use the potty, clean up everything, wash hands, and then get the double stroller out the bathroom door -- and to then have him pee in the carseat, anyway.

Sam went accident-free, told me when he needed the potty, and even woke up from his nap crying, telling me that he needed to use the potty. His diaper was dry, I put him on the potty, he peed, and went back to sleep. When he woke up, his diaper was dry. He has definitely bought in to the whole concept of potty training, and even woke up crying the other night at 2am, and when I went in to see what was wrong, he told me he wanted to wear underpants.

Overall, I think that they are both doing really well, and that I am doing really well being patient with them through this process. That being said, I am really, really exhausted.

3 comments:

The Slacker Mom said...

I'm loving your daily updates. I read the same article and have filed it away as our starting point for when we jump into potty training. Sounds like you are doing great!

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

Erin,
I want you to commend yourself for knowing when they were ready. Being ready doesn't mean perfection so I am so happy that you are rolling with the ups and downs of dry and the wet moments. Parents can get stressed trying to potty train one, so two at once is a lot to manage signs/cues.

You obviously knew they were ready to start and sound to be doing an amazing job. They both seem to enjoy the process and it seems will master this quickly.

Did they get to pick out their underwear at the store? Do they seem to miss any part of wearing diapers?

Kristeen said...

I have so much respect for you for sticking with this. I think I would have thrown my hands up in frustration on day two. You're doing great!