Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The dawning of a new decade

Yesterday was my birthday. The BIG 30. Years ago, I thought that turning 30 would be a big deal. But yesterday? It wasn't a big deal at all. Yup, I'm 30. I'm the mother to 2-year old twin boys. I'm an attorney. I'm finally at a point in my life where I know what I want, where I know what will make me happy (or, at least, what makes me unhappy!), and why I deserve to have those things. So -- time for some changes. Time to take back control and feel empowered in my own life again.

I think back to when I turned 20. I had just finished my sophomore year of college and was preparing for my semester in Madrid. I felt like I knew who I was, what I wanted in my life, and where I would be in 10 years. And looking back, I had no idea! I've come so far as a person, as a woman, as a mother, a friend, a daughter and a sister. I've grown into my own skin, and I know who Erin is.

2 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

It is funny how 30 has a lot of hype about getting old but really I feel it means coming into your own. I embrace turning 30 myself, in another month, because I will officially be a mom and I love my life. I have no shame in saying I am 30.

I wonder at 40 if we will look back and think the same as we do about our 20's--that we thought we knew what we wanted but really had no idea---I am sure we will!!!

Kristeen said...

I love this picture, they look so big! I have been feeling like a bad mom lately because when it's so hot, we don't even bother to dress Carter. He's home with me all day, so it's not like I'm dropping him off at daycare like that. But a onesie or even just a diaper is all I can bear to put him in when it's so hot. Anything more and I feel like I'm just being cruel and vain. Glad to have visual evidence that I'm not the only one :)