Saturday, February 13, 2010

When the going gets tough ...

The tough call in the cavalry. My parents were supposed to come down on Monday, stay here for two days, and then take the boys back to NY on Wednesday. Yesterday the boys and I were in the car on the way to school to take care of the outstanding things I needed to do to wrap up my time at law school -- and while we were driving, I heard vomiting from the backseat. I pulled over and looked in the backseat and saw Sam entirely covered in vomit. All over the $300 non-machine washable carseat. Lovely.

We got home, Sam was obviously sobbing hysterically, Ben kept saying, "Sam poooked! Do again!" I got the boys into the house and started running water to give them a bath. No hot water. Seriously? Emailed the husband, he told me to call the furnace company. Easier said than done. Sam vomited several more times -- all over the new carpeting in their bedroom, all over the dining room floor, all over his brother. Still no hot water. I eventually called the furnace company, and the nice woman on the phone could hear the screaming child in the background and dispatched someone immediately to come fix the problem. I was emailing and calling the husband incessantly, hoping to plead with him to come home early, but not getting an answer at his work, on his cell, or on email. At this time, the puke-laden clothes and towels were piling up on the floor, Sam was crying, Ben was literally splashing in a puddle on the floor -- and the furnace repairman showed up. I went and let him in, and made another call to the husband, who answered and said he was on his way home.

He got home, the furnace man fixed the hot water, I got Sam to take a nap, and then I went to work on cleaning the carseat. It was disgusting. Taking apart the Br!tax Marathon carseat that is covered in puke is horrible because the pieces all run through each other, so every piece had to be threaded through the vomit puddles. I actually went and checked the files, hoping we had bought the replacement plan for the carseat -- because I would have gone and gotten a new carseat and called the other a total loss! We didn't, however, so I decided just to put the carseat cover in the washing machine, even though it tells you that it is not machine washable. One cycle on delicate and it was still dirty. One cycle on gentle and it looks great. It is now line-drying in the bathroom, and I am hoping it will fit back onto the carseat base!

After an overall rough night with a puking child -- and one desperate phone call to my mom -- and my parents are currently on their way to rescue me and my hopes of passing the Bar in 9 short days.

2 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

Sorry to hear about your horrible afternoon but glad to hear that you have parents who are able to help you!!!!!

Julie said...

yay for grandparents!