
like hearing a song on the radio can make such a difference in your day. I think that I've done a great job of embracing the life we lead -- with the husband's very demanding career, law school and now studying for the Bar, and most importantly, the two little boys who are currently fighting over the container of baby wipes. Some days, however, I do feel overwhelmed, and this morning was one of those mornings. The Bar is in three weeks. I have so much work to do between now and then, literally hundreds of pages of information to "commit to memory." The wonderful babysitter who has stayed with the boys for the past month left yesterday for her semester abroad in Italy (lucky bum!). My student loans come out of deferral fairly soon and I have reminder statements of that sitting on my desk. I feel the intense pressure of needing a job, yet I am terrified about how I will balance being the kind of mom I want to be for the boys with the demands of learning how to be an attorney.

As I put the boys in their chairs for breakfast, while making myself lunch to take to school, trying to get dressed, looking at my past due homework assignments, a song came on the radio that made me stop what I was doing for a minute and take the moment to catch my breath. During my freshman year of college, I lived in a quad, and two of my roommates were die-hard Billy Joel fans, and any Billy Joel song always reminds me of that crazy year of my life. The song this morning seemed to resonate a lot more than it ever has -- "Vienna" by Billy Joel -- especially the following stanzas.
Slow down, you crazy child
you're so ambitious for a juvenile
But then if you're so smart, tell me
Why are you still so afraid?
Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?
You'd better cool it off before you burn it out
You've got so much to do and
Only so many hours in a day
But you know that when the truth is told..
That you can get what you want or you get old
Too bad but it's the life you lead
you're so ahead of yourself that you forgot what you need
Though you can see when you're wrong, you know
You can't always see when you're right. you're right
You've got your passion, you've got your pride
but don't you know that only fools are satisfied?
Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true
When will you realize, Vienna waits for you?
1 comment:
I am glad something today sparked a chord with you and made you have the ability to stop and take a breath for the day. I hope once the BAR is over you can have more of these moments throughout the day.
Post a Comment