
Several years ago, I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC. During training, we were warned about the infamous "MILE 21" and the wall we'd be sure to hit at that point. We ran several 20 mile runs during training, but never more than that at one time. On Marathon Day, I fell victim to Mile 21! I remember being completely exhausted -- physically, mentally, emotionally -- and having to will myself to continue putting one foot in front of another, and not just sit down on the side of the road to take a rest.

I've hit Mile 21 in Bar Review. The first day of the Bar is 2 weeks from today. I am so tired. My mind is full of random legal facts and tests. There aren't enough hours in my day to devote myself completely to my lovey boys and to the hundreds of pages of information I need to commit to memory. I feel overwhelmed and inadequate. I absolutely have to pass this exam on the first try -- first, I don't have the time or the money to spend taking this class a second time. Second, I need to start working as an attorney, my student loans will be coming due way too soon, and I need to be able to provide for my family. Third, I cannot imagine doing this all again!

I am trying to remind myself of the *pain* I experienced during Mile 21, and how I had to keep putting one foot in front of the other in order to get myself to the finish line. The mental imagery is actually really helpful -- as I sit doing multiple choice questions or writing essays, I think about each task taking me one step closer to the finish line -- passing the Bar and being an admitted attorney!
5 comments:
http://jonesberry.blogspot.com/2010/02/for-erin.html
For you!
I didn't know you still had it. Fun. I love making signs. =)
Ben looks older in these pics, he is loosing his baby face.
I am sure the "we know you can do it" can only work for so many pages of studying the same way that "you are almost there" works for so long.
But know that all your friends and family know that you are doing all that you can at this time. You deserve one big night out after this test is over!!!!!
I think the hardest mile was mile 1..you continued with school while being pregnant with twins and then continued with school after having twins---I know if you could do both of those milestones, I have total faith in your ability to complete mile 21!!!!!
Stay strong little root!
These pictures are so cute. My name is Abigail Pogrebin; I'm an identical twin and former 60 Minutes producer who just published a book about twins called "One and the Same." I think any parent of twins will find much to chew on and maybe some guidance as to how to dodge pitfalls of doubleness. I'd love to speak to you about the possibility of a book giveaway, review and/or author Q&A. My email is apogrebin@gmail.com, website:www.abigailpogrebin.com.
Post a Comment