Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Graduation weekend

This past weekend, my family and my two closest friends came to town to help celebrate my law school graduation. I officially graduated in December, but the law school does not have a December graduation, so I decided to participate in the spring ceremony. Graduation was certainly a bit sweeter for me than for the majority of my classmates, as I've already taken the Bar Exam and will be admitted as a practicing attorney in a week!

I felt fairly apathetic about the actual ceremony -- it was something I wanted to do for myself, but I've been to enough graduations to know that they are typically long, with drawn-out speakers reiterating the same point over and over again. Also, my class graduated last year -- my friends, my classmates, those other students who all happened to wander onto campus that same day last year -- they were the people with whom I felt I should share this experience, not the people with whom I was actually graduating. Remember this post from last year? When I arrived at campus, we took a class picture (um, Class of '10? Who ARE these people??), and then I attempted to use the bathroom -- a major undertaking with a crowd of woman attempting to make themselves actually look attractive in a mortar-board. Give it up, ladies, those things are supposed to be unattractive!

Because the lobby level bathroom to the library was so crowded, I decided to go to the downstairs bathroom, which felt both appropriately fitting and nostalgia-inducing -- as that was the same bathroom I used on 3/6/08 when I discovered my water had, indeed, broken.

The ceremony began -- and as we entered the ceremony area, I saw the boys sitting in their double stroller, dressed in their khakis and button-down shirts, and I started to cry. Why, I have no idea, I had been feeling pretty unemotional about the whole experience! Over the past 2 years, the boys have been such a driving force behind me finishing school, and were certainly my motivation when I was struggling to fit in the required hours during Bar review. I want them to respect and admire strong women, and I hope that me finishing school after having twins will help them to believe they can accomplish any dream they might have with enough hard work and perseverance.

All in all, we had a wonderful weekend, and I am so grateful to the people who have helped me and supported me during this incredible adventure.


Ceremonies are boring, tape-ball is way more entertaining!


My little family


My parents and siblings


My siblings


The graduate!

4 comments:

Tara K said...

I got so teary seeing you in your graduation garb. Congratulations Erin! You are so inspiring and proof to me that I really can do ANYTHING.

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

You deserve to fully enjoy the day and the experience. I am glad you participated in the experience in the spring.

Becky said...

I was tearing up on and off all day, and I still will tear up seeing the pictures of you looking at the boys. I can't really explain what the emotion is that makes me so weepy but it does. Seeing you graduate is such a inspiration to me, if you can finish school with twins, I should certainly be able to finish with one! Thanks for allowing us to share the weekend with you.

KHS said...

Congratulations lady!!