Friday, May 21, 2010

Dancing backwards in high heels

I'm not a big country music fan (ironic, seeing I grew up on a farm, I know!), but there are a few songs that I really love, and that instantly bring me back to a different time in my life. "The Woman with You," by Kenny Chesney, is one of those songs, and always reminds me of one of my good friends from DC. I heard the song the other day, and it made me smile, as I remembered the fun times we had together as 22-year olds dealing with all the "drama" that life sent our way. I thought of the song again the other day ...

I had a big interview at a state government office, but didn't have a babysitter, so I had to pack up the boys and drop them at husband's office. Trying to get two 2-year olds out the door with all of their gear is a task in itself, but doing it dressed up is a completely different animal! I had to park on the street by his office, and was holding Ben on one hip, had a diaper bag and my bag in one hand, and was holding Sam's hand to walk to the office. The whole time, Ben kept slipping down on me, and trying to reposition himself, which meant two muddy little feet leaving marks on the hips/butt of my light grey skirt suit. Every time he repositioned himself, his feet would grab onto my thigh, causing my skirt to inch higher and higher up my leg. I couldn't fix it, I didn't have a free hand, and didn't dare let go of Sam, seeing we were in the middle of downtown Hartford on a busy street. I had to keep walking, just praying that Ben didn't make one final shimmy that would leave me completely exposed! When we got to the office, Sam ran into me with his velcro sneakers, which left a nice snag in my pantyhose. By the time we got to the THIRD FLOOR OFFICE, I was sweating, my hair was a mess, and I was cursing the fact that I was wearing a pair of pre-baby shoes -- black Steve M*ddens with a 3-inch heel. I also felt a little distracted, as I was too busy singing verses of Old MacDonald to really think about the interview.

As I took the 10 minute walk to my interview, I had to smile, thinking to myself how appropriate the words to the song are to my life today, how the girl I was at 22 probably wouldn't recognize the woman and mother I have become at 29 ...

"She said, '[T]he girl I was with the business degree, probably wouldn't recognize me.
I was gonna run the bank.
I was gonna run the math.
Now all I want to run is a bubble bath.
Back then you know I had this plan.
Before all of this reality set in.
Here comes life boy, ready or not.
Hey I wanted it all and that's what I got.'

"Cause I'm gopherin', chaufferin', company chairmen.
Coffee maker, Copy repairman.
Anymore there ain't nothin' I swear man, that I don't do.
Been juggling, struggling, closing big deals.
Dancing backwards in high heels.
Just when it feels like I can't make it through.
She said it sure is nice to just be the woman with you.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great song! I hope you had a great interview!!!

Kristeen said...

This made me cry :) Not entirely sure why but it did. I love reflective posts, and I think every once in a while it's hugely necessary to step back and look at how far you've come. You've come a long way!!

Erin said...

Ha Kristeen -- at 22, I was ready to conquer the world and fully believed I could do it. And then, somehow, I have been conquered by two little men who entered my life by surprise!