Thursday, May 6, 2010

Half-identicals?

There is a somewhat rare phenomenon that results in half-identical twins. The egg, for whatever reason, divides before fertilization, and is then fertilized by two separate sperm. This leads to two children with identical genetic material from their mother, and different genetic material from their father. One of the boys' relatives has often said that she believes the boys are half-identical -- but I have always assumed they were dizygotic, right from the first ultrasound (due to two amniotic sacs and two placentas). Pictures like this make me wonder, though -- except for Ben's chubby cheeks, the boys look practically identical to me!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Interesting theory.. but I'm sure the blood work to figure it out isn't cheap... I bet as they get older they will start to look more similar for a while and then diverge again at puberty.

Tara K said...

I could completely see it! I have to tell you, I blew up this picture to show to Jeff and my mother and Kamden came up with a HUGE smile and said, "SAM-BOY!!! BEN-BOY!!!! HI!!!"

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I definitely see what you are talking about more in this photo than in other photos. They are getting so big and mature looking.