Sunday, May 30, 2010

The amusement park ...

We brought the boys to a local amusement park today, and I was a bit skeptical about the trip, as Sam woke up screaming from his nap after only 45 minutes, and the non-stop shrieking woke Ben, too -- so we had two grumpy little boys on our hands. We got to the park and decided to buy a season pass, which was less expensive than two trips to the amusement park, and because it is close, we figured we would go at least one more time this summer. The amusement park has a fairly large waterpark, as well as a Kiddie Land, and a bunch of rides for older children, so it seemed like the perfect way to spend a warm, Memorial Day weekend!




When we arrived at the park, the boys needed a snack, so we got them some food from the first stand we found, and Sam took some time studying the map. He looks like a baby tourist!


After the snack, the boys decided to go on the Critter Train. I was unsure how the ride would go, if the boys would actually sit on the train long enough for the ride to actually start. Ben refused to even get on the train, but Sam went and sat bravely, and off the train went. Sam's lip stuck out farther and farther as the train drove away from us, and on the opposite side of the track -- probably 20 feet away from us -- he was very, very nervous, as his back was to us! After two agonizing trips around the track, the train mercifully stopped, and he was able to get off. He never cried, but he looked very, very worried, and very sad.


We found the carousel, a Sam and Ben favorite, and went on that FOUR TIMES. I don't usually have issues with motion sickness on rides, but felt a little off and pretty dizzy after too many trips on the carousel!

Ben told us he wanted to go on the swings, so off we went. Ben was obviously confused as to the type of swing he was about to ride, as he kept telling us, "Push me, Mommy! Push me, Daddy!" Once the ride started, he was not pleased to be on the swing, and cried, and cried, and cried! We couldn't get him off, the ride had to go 6 rotations before stopping once it was started, so he had to sit on the torturous ride for approximately 30 seconds!



Sam, on the other hand, loved the swings, sat back and put on his sunglasses, and even asked for a second turn!


We decided to take a beverage break, and husband and Ben went on a ride together, which Ben loved. To end the day, we decided to all go on that same ride, as we could all sit on the same car. The ride lifts up about 20 feet in the air, and the cars are controlled by the passengers and can spin. When the ride started, I thought the hydrolics sounded a bit strange, but tried not to think about it. After a very short ride, the ride came to a sudden stop -- and all the cars were stuck 20 feet in the air. What?! I had my cell phone, and told husband that I was calling 911 if they didn't get us down immediately. Sam was sobbing, he was so tired, and hot, and didn't want to be on the ride in the first place. I was starting to panic, being stuck in this little cart 20 feet in the air with 2 2-year olds -- I could only imagine one of them trying to climb out or something horrible like that. Thankfully, after less than 5 minutes, a park mechanic was able to fix the ride to get us all down.



At that point, we decided we'd all had enough for one day. But Ben demanded another try on the Critter Train. So off we went -- and he refused to actually go on the train for the fourth time!

I am exhausted. Husband is exhausted. Hopefully the boys' exhaustion will lead to sleeping past 5am!

3 comments:

Kristeen said...

Seriously, you should write a book of all the adventures you've had! Reading your blog makes me(1)laugh until I nearly pee, (2) marvel at your patience, strength, and bravery and (3) FREAK OUT about having a little boy.

That picture of Ben on the swings sent me into hysterics for at least a full minute. Poor little guy!

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

Perhaps the next time the boys will be more willing to re-try rides or at least be familiar. Rides at these parks can be overwhelming. I am not a ride person myself because of motion sickness so I typically just do the "bench ride" and watch others go on the rides.

Sounds like your day was full of excitement so I am sure they got a good night's rest.

prashant said...

this is amazing post
Contextual Ad Network India