Sunday, October 3, 2010

Apple picking!

I was home alone with two grumpy little boys who did not nap for long enough today, so I knew I had to get us out of the house. We had discussed going to a pumpkin patch earlier in the day, but then the "Husband" (quotes, simply because I don't know what else to call him) had to go to work for the afternoon, so the boys and I were left on our own to think of something fun to do. I decided that we should go as we had discussed, despite the temper tantrums and screeching, so I pulled out the cold weather clothes (boo!) and put the boys in the car.

There are several orchards very close to our house, and I picked one that also has a number of farm animals. As soon as we were in the car, the boys' moods changed, and I knew we would have a fun afternoon. When we got to the farm, the boys were fascinated by all the activity -- miniature horses running around in their pens, several cats wandering around the grounds, chickens clucking, goats trying to eat cardboard boxes, people milling around everyone -- and, best of all, a tractor. When I decided to bring the boys to the pumpkin farm, I had absolutely no intention of going apple or pumpkin picking, but when I saw how excited the boys were about the idea of going on a tractor ride, I changed my mind.

The ride was great -- I sat cross-legged, and the boys piled into my lap, both a little intimated by our "abenture," but totally fascinated to be doing something so new. Ben was annoyed at first that he couldn't drive (after he just drove Peepaw's tractor last weekend!), but I was glad, as Ben has a habit of driving only in circles. That could have made for a long ride!




When we got to the orchard, the boys were so excited to find apples.












Sam was meticulous in his apple selection, and Ben was more concerned with picking apples quickly so we could take another tractor ride.













We didn't stay in the orchard for long, it was late in the day (4:30ish) and the sun was starting to set, and the temperature was dropping pretty quickly. Sam was pleased with his apple selection, and Ben was ready for another tractor ride, so off we went. The boys each enjoyed an apple on the trip back to the farm, and they each picked out a small "sugar pumpkin" (does that mean I can use it for cooking?) before we left (as well as a chocolate chip cookie -- which Ben offered to share with me, so long as I didn't eat any of the chocolate chips).

When we got home, I took the bag of apples out of the car -- and realized we had come home with exactly 9 apples. So much for making a pie!

** I forgot my camera in my haste to get out of the house, so these are all camera phone pictures ... And I'm glad, because I look like I could use some serious Botox, and we don't need those eye wrinkles highlighted with a better camera!

5 comments:

Becky said...

So cute! Love the pictures! I'm glad you did it, I'm sure doing it alone wasn't your first choice but it looks like everyone had a good time.

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

Your boys are so funny. You can share if you don't eat the chocolate chips.

Glad you had a nice time. Will you go apple picking again to get more apples?

Kristeen said...

Your camera phone takes great pictures! I'm dying to get out to a farm myself. I love all things fall -- the smell, the sights, the crispness of the cold weather... These pictures inspire me to just go do it.

I love the picture of the 3 of you with Sams eyes poking up in the corner, so cute.

The Hanes Fam said...

Love it! And yes, Sugar Pumpkins are used for cooking. I'm looking forward to getting one when we go and using it for something yummy!

Jennifer said...

Great pics - I'm glad you 3 had such a great time! I am dealing with temper tantrums right now too and have NO clue how to handle them apart from *trying* to ignore it.