Friday, October 15, 2010

Have I lost my mind??

I feel stagnant. I don't have any immediate goals or projects to accomplish. Law school? Check. Bar exam? Check. Potty training? Check. Find a job? Working on it. I think that I need a hobby -- I spend almost every waking minute with two 2-year olds -- and although I love the boys to pieces, I think that we all get a little cooped up with each other. Problem is, whatever hobby I decide to take up has to include Sam and Ben, which makes things a bit more challenging. So what am I thinking about? Training for another marathon. I trained with TNT and ran the Marine Corps Marathon 5 years ago, and absolutely loved the entire experience (except for my dismal race day performance!). However, I was 24 years old, living in Washington, DC, and had no one to answer to, except myself. I could go for a 20 mile training run, and then take a 4 hour nap -- whereas now, I could go for a 20 mile training run, and then come home to spend the rest of the day chasing around the boys. The very thought exhausts me.

I'm not sure that the logistics of such training would actually work. For example, the individual training runs during the week would have to include the double stroller or would have to be on a treadmill. The long weekend runs would require me to be gone for a good chunk of either Saturday or Sunday morning. I'm not sure I can handle the fundraising commitment required of many of the training programs. And finally, I don't know that my knee is healed completely to begin running again in any serious way.




Logically, I know that trying to start a training program right now doesn't make much sense. Running is, however, incredibly therapeutic for me -- but I don't know that the benefits it offers to me (and the feeling of accomplishment of actually finishing another marathon) would outweigh the extra stress that the training would put on me.

Something to think about. Sam says, "Um, Mom, have you entirely lost your mind??" And no pictures of Ben from our latest adventure, he got angry every time I pointed the camera at him!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Maybe you should take up knitting! Or painting.. or maybe crew! The boys are up early anyway I bet they would make great cockswains!

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I admire you for your desire to workout that hard when you have two active kids at home. Do you currently workout on your knee or have you restricted yourself? Are there any shorter runs you can train for as a temporary goal until you have time or your knee has the stamina to do a marathon.

Nicole said...

Maybe a half marathon or 10K?!