Thursday, September 30, 2010

Flip Cup

After a couple of tough posts, this one will be far more light-hearted. The boys and I went to Mimi and PeePaw's house for a few days of R&R, and during the basement cleaning prior to the trip, I found a CD case full of CDs from my life prior to marriage and children. Yesterday, during the drive back to CT, I spent nearly 4 hours listening to random songs that brought back snippets from my past, most of the songs making me smile, a few making me cry (that will be the next post!). I thought about how much my life has changed in the past 5 years, since I moved away from DC, and all of the "abentures" (the boys' word) I have been on that put me right where I am today. I thought about my dating life and some of the crazy or silly dates I've been on that all led me to Husband -- and here is one of the favorite stories.

During the '04 cycle, I met a fellow campaigner who became a friend, but there was clearly an attraction between the two of us. He was moving to DC after the election cycle, and I planned on moving, too. As soon as I moved to DC, we hung out a few times (once with all of our other campaign friends -- and some other guy I had dated several years prior spent the entire evening throwing straw wrappers in my hair from across the room. Awesome.), and he invited me over for dinner. We will call this guy "Flip Cup" to protect his identity (let's hope he doesn't read this blog ...) because one evening, he was supposed to come over to my apartment -- and showed up HOURS late -- like 3am -- totally wasted because he had spent the evening playing flip cup with his college friends -- it was at that point, I realized it probably wasn't going to work out ... But anyway, back to dinner. Flip invited me over to his apartment, a beautiful place on Capitol Hill. He kicked his roommate out for the evening, and told me he would cook me dinner.

When I arrived at his apartment, Flip was busy with his dinner preparations. He had called his mom to get her suggestions on what to cook -- I guess I was the first girl he had cooked dinner for -- at that point, the warning bells didn't go off in my head, I just thought, "Aw, that's sweet." Flip was, afterall, 2 years younger than me.

I can't really remember what he prepared for dinner, except for the chicken. I was a little skeptical, it seemed to be cooked less than I would prefer, but I know that I always overcook chicken because I am paranoid about raw meat. So, although it wasn't cooked as much as I would want it to be, I figured that it was probably fine and I certainly didn't want to embarrass Flip on his first dinner-cooking venture by telling him that he was feeding his date raw meat (haha, save the "cougar" comments, please!). I ate what I could, and after dinner, we moved to the living room for a little cuddle time (hi, Dad, do you still read my blog?) before heading to Georgetown to meet up with his friends.

About 45 minutes later, mid-kiss, I realized that I was going to vomit. Oh boy, this should be interesting. Luckily, his phone rang at that moment, so he went to talk to his roommate, and I hurried to the bathroom. Although Flip's bathroom was, by far, the cleanest bathroom I've ever seen for a 22-year old male, I did NOT want to vomit in his apartment -- talk about humiliating!! A few minutes of deep breathing helped me regain my composure, and I went out to talk to him. Flip told me the plan to meet up with his friends, and I told him that I was feeling really ill and just wanted to go home. He offered to drive me, but I told him I would just take a cab (being the cheapo I am, I always used Metro and never took cabs - but I knew I couldn't make it all the way home on the Metro!). I jumped into the first cab I found, and told the cabbie to drive FAST -- which he did, and I managed to make it to the apartment -- where I spent the next 24 hours violently puking. Food poisoning from the raw chicken or maybe just a coincidence? Who knows ... But I can guess! After the dinner adventure, I declined Flip's offer to cook me a second dinner, but we did spend some time together before he earned his "flip cup" nickname.

I hope this silly story made you smile.

3 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

your story makes me think about a story Brandon and I laugh about quite often when we bring up the good ole' days. I made a meal for him when we started dating in college. I told him something to this effect:E=Elaine B=Brandon
E: I am going to make chicken for dinner
B: What kind of chicken
E: Chicken in the oven
B: But how are you cooking the chicken?
E: In the oven on a pan

Safe to say, I literally washed the chicken and cooked it. I did not add any spice, flavor, or even salt/pepper. He is amazed how far I have come in a short time.

***that same dinner I had apple juice to drink when he looked back in his glass we were perplexed and realized he drank mold that had formed because I didn't refrigerate my juice.

Becky said...

I've heard this story before but it still makes me laugh! Ah, all the food poisoning I missed out on!

Kristeen said...

Ahh, this made me laugh. I had similar experiences during college, but I won't lie -- they weren't food poisoning related. I'm just a horrible drinker. Stories like these make me miss college, but they also make me glad I'm not doing that anymore!