Saturday, December 12, 2009

Bennace the Menace strikes again.

A trip to the ER and a call to the Poison Control hotline aren't enough excitement for the past month. We almost had our first call to the police department yesterday afternoon. Ben locked himself in the guest bedroom -- I didn't even know the door locked. I knew that there were "keys to nowhere" in one of the kitchen drawers from the previous owner of the house, and I hoped that one of those would work to open the door. I was right about the extra keys -- there are 2 envelopes full of keys. I felt like I was on Survivor or something -- tried them all, none of them worked. Ummmm ... I can't take the door off the hinges because the hinges are on the inside of the door. I can't take the doorknob off because all of the screws are inside the door. Husband is in VA because his stepmother is really sick again, I call him, he didn't know the door locked, either. He suggested either calling a locksmith or calling the non-emergency police line and having them come over. Both of those options sound less than ideal, I'm his mother, I should be able to figure this out.

The guest bedroom is above the garage, and is 2 stories off the ground in the front of the house, and 1.5 stories off the ground on the side of the house because of the hill. I got the tallest ladder we have, put it under the window, climbed so I was standing on the top of the ladder, the window was at armpit level, Ben is inside the bedroom, just hanging out when I look in -- he doesn't understand me telling him to turn the lock on the door. So -- good thing that I'm tall and that I'm strong from lugging the two of them around so I was able to pull myself through the window. After getting in the window, I realized just how dangerous my actions were. I had my cell phone in my pocket, so at least I could have called 911 if I had fallen or if the ladder had slipped -- but climbing on top of a stepladder and trying to hoist myself through a window in the snow and ice without another adult at the house was probably not the greatest idea. That lock will be replaced very soon with one that has a key, and in the mean time, the door is taped over with packing tape so that it doesn't latch.

Oh, my children ...

7 comments:

Becky said...

My goodness. I would have just kicked the door down, those locks aren't usually that strong. You're a resourceful mama. I take it you aren't real friendly with any of your neighbors.

Erin said...

Our two neighbors are both 80+ year old widowed women ...

Stephanie said...

oh wow!!! I can't believe that you did that. I can't believe your luck that the window was unlocked. super mom saves the day

JJ said...

Yes honey it has been the year for ladders and windows! Kristy looked me out of the house when she was 19 mos old and I was 6 mos pregnant with Becky...I will tell you that story another time! xo

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

Where was Sam when this was going on?
You were lucky the window was unlocked.
Was he nervous that you were climbing through the window?
Sounds like you are having quite an eventful mth..I hope the next few weeks are extremely boring for you!!!! =)

Elaine

Julie said...

super mom saves the day again! i cannot believe that you were standing on TOP of the ladder....that is really scary! i guess your mind goes into mom mode when your child needs help.

i am glad that you are okay!

Julie said...

oh, and i am laughing to myself because i have a mental image of becky kicking down a door....you ARE intense, becky! :)