Last night, the babies were in the bathtub and they both love the faucet and the "drain pull" lever. Ben was playing with the lever and either trying to pull himself up on it or bite on it -- and slipped forward (he was on his knees) and hit his face, right between the eyes, on the lever. He gasped, so I pulled him out of the tub -- and he started screaming. The first "I'm going to hold my breath!" scream lasted for about 15 seconds -- and during that time, the following thoughts ran through my head. "If he passes out, I'll pull the lever to drain the bathwater so that Sam is contained in the empty bathtub, I'm calling 911, then I'll call Roy, I'll grab a bag with some pajamas and diapers ..." But then Ben finally took a breath. I know, I know -- passing out is the natural reflex to holding one's breath, and once he passed out, he would start breathing again -- but I wasn't going to take that chance! Yes, maybe calling 911 would have been a bit extreme, but I'm not taking any chances with my little boys! After he calmed down, I put him back in the bathtub -- and he, of course, got this determined, angry look on his face, crawled to the other end of the bathtub, and tried pulling himself up on the lever! I put my hand on it so he couldn't -- and he hit my hand, tried to bite my hand -- did whatever he could do to get me out of the way so he could accomplish his task. Talk about stubborn! The bruise between his eyes nicely matches the other bruises on his forehead that he got last week when he was learning to crawl.
This morning, Sam was standing at the baby gate as I put Ben in the high chair. I'm not entirely sure how he fell -- but I heard a loud 'THUD', turned around, and saw Sam on the floor. I hopped over the baby gate and picked him up. He started crying, of course, and I didn't think that much of it, he's fallen before from holding on to the baby gate. But then he vomited all over himself and me. This worried me, I know that vomiting can be a sign of a concussion. I waited the 15 minutes until the pediatrician's office opened (yes, he does take calls 24 hours a day, but I figured I could wait the 15 minutes) and called him. He said that vomiting immediately after a head injury isn't as troubling as vomiting that occurs between 1 hour and 24 hours after the injury (because that vomiting is due to a change in the pressure in the brain due to swelling), but that if Sam vomits again within the next 24 hours, doesn't act like himself, is not easily woken, is too sleepy, etc, that I should call him immediately and he will send Sam to Children's Medical to undergo testing to make sure he isn't experiencing brain swelling or bleeding.Being a parent is so scary!



3 comments:
sheesh. that is scary. I'm not looking forward to the mobile stage.
you poor thang...I am glad that I only have one baby to worry about, Dylan woke up with a bruise on his cheek this morning...not sure where that came from.
Little Ben was determined to play with the faucet wasn't he!?! Glad to hear they're both doing okay...poor little guys!
Post a Comment