
Several weeks ago, I picked the boys up from school on Friday afternoon, and while packing up his cubby for the weekend, read the "daily sheet" from his preschool teacher, who wrote that Ben spent a good part of the day crying and upset, and not at all interested in participating in his classroom activities. I didn't make much of the comment, but felt badly for him that he'd had a bad day at school.
I took the boys home, we made some dinner, took our shower, and signed on to Skype to talk to my parents. As we chatted, Ben ran around and played -- until he stopped suddenly at the end of the couch and started to cry. I asked him what was the matter, and he told me that he didn't feel well. Before I could ask another question, he fell to the floor (right on the Christmas tree!) and had his second seizure. "Oh my God, he's having a seizure!" were the words that came out of my mouth as I ran over and grabbed Ben off the floor (so much for the instructions from the neurologist about what to do in the event of a seizure), and then searched frantically for my cell phone. I couldn't find my phone, so grabbed my work Blackberry, and dialed 911. As I tried to remember my address for the 911 Operator (which is why I ordered home phone service the next day), my poor parents watched helplessly on Skype. Ben was unconscious for a very short time -- probably 10 or 15 seconds -- and was awake and crying by the time I was on the phone with 911.
Within several minutes, I could see the flashing lights outside, and the police and paramedics were at the house. Ben was still crying and upset, stating repeatedly that his head was hurting, and Sam was very nervous about what was happening. The paramedics loaded Ben onto the stretcher and we went and sat in the back of the ambulance waiting for the boys' dad to arrive. While sitting in the ambulance, Sam commented to me that his shoes were too small and uncomfortable. The EMT looked at him and laughed -- and said that maybe Mommy was a little stressed, I had put his sneakers on the wrong feet. Oops!
Before long, we were all on our way to the hospital, with Ben and Mommy in the ambulance as I recounted the details of the event to the EMT, as well as Ben's past history with the grand mal seizure.
The trip to the hospital was uneventful, Ben was stable, and his neurologist is not at the children's hospital. In hindsight, it was probably not necessary to call 911 or to even take Ben to the hospital -- but in that moment, when something is so clearly wrong, the only thing I can think of is getting someone to my house IMMEDIATELY to help my baby. After four hours with two 3-year olds in an ER at 11pm on a Friday night, Ben was discharged with instructions to follow-up with his neurologist. We got home, and the boys obviously asked what was for dinner. I fed them, and then hoped they would go to bed. Wrong. They needed milk and a story, too. As Sam picked "Pokey Little Puppy" off the shelf, I sighed to myself, the story is probably my second least favorite of the collection (you all know my least favorite, the creepy book with the mom snuggling her grown-up son in the middle of the night!), and one of the longest. Ben slept in my bed with me that night, after waking up screaming, which left me in a panic that something was seriously wrong.
I am thinking about buying him a medic alert bracelet. I will have to find another equally ostentatious bracelet for Sam ...



2 comments:
Oh honey! How scary! Know that if he's not good about keeping a bracelet on that they make temporary 2 week tattoos that will NOT come off for anything for young kids and those in sports.
Oh wow...so sorry to hear he had another seizure. I do not think anyone would second guess you calling 911, I agree in the moment a mom/dad's first reaction is to get help there as quickly as possible. Glad that the EEG testing showed positive signs. I will hope that he doesn't have any more seizures!!!!
Post a Comment