
I realize that my last post sounded whiny and bratty -- not my intention, obviously, I was just feeling frustrated with the comments I receive (but thank you for the validation, ladies!). And yes, I do seem to have a lot of random people who decide to talk to me -- and I think that is due to two factors. First, I've been told a number of times that I look like the "Ivory Snow" girl -- sweet, innocent, pure (ironic that the Ivory Snow girl later turned out to be an adult-film star ...) -- and people feel like I am approachable and friendly. Second, people love the novelty of twins. Somehow, it seems that twins are "public domain" and their very presence allows random strangers to ask very personal questions about my life. Since they were born, I have been stopped by people in stores and asked if I used fertility drugs, if I conceived "naturally," if twins run in my family, if my children were born early, etc.

One of the most amazing things about being the mother of twins (aside from my two wonderful children, of course!) is the support network and bond that is instantly created between and among mothers of twins (MOTs). I found a wonderful group of Mothers of Twins, and over the past year, formed a handful of fabulous friendships with other mothers. I love going to the meetings -- when I walk in the door, I am surrounded by women who all know exactly what my day was like without me needing to say a word. At my first meeting, I was pleased to see a bunch of women who looked just like me -- with twin-skin bellies, round BF'ing breasts, and a look of sheer exhaustion! Within this group, relationships are formed in an instant -- and within minutes of meeting a new member, she will be telling me about her childbirth experience, or troubles with infertility -- information one would never share so openly with a stranger! But within this "sisterhood," it's easy, and it makes sense! There is a certainly a reason why women stay members of the group long after their children grow up and leave the house!

Ironically, the first meeting I planned to attend was on March 6, 2008 -- I planned to leave directly from school to go to the meeting. The boys had other plans, however, because that was the afternoon when I was hit with pPROM and ended up at Dempsey for my 2 week hospital stay before the boys were born. I am sorry I didn't start attending the meetings earlier, this group would have been a wonderful support for me during those early months!
** I know these pictures are old and kind of random -- but I didn't want to post any pictures of my MOT friends without their consent! **
No comments:
Post a Comment