
After a lot of discussion between us, conversations with medical professionals (including one who doesn't believe in seasonal flu vaccines), and trying to gather as much information as possible, we decided to get the boys vaccinated for H1N1. We were initially unconcerned, but the media reports of otherwise healthy children getting incredibly sick from the virus changed our minds and we decided that the right decision for our family would be to get the boys vaccinated.

When we got to the boys' appointment today, the pediatrician told us that he has only received shipments of the multi-dose vials of the vaccine -- which contain thimerosal. He said that he ordered the single-dose, thimerosal-free vaccine, but it is apparently in very short supply and no pediatricians have easy access to this. We talked a bit about thimerosal -- and he told us that even vaccines labeled "thimerosal-free" do contain at least traces of the preservative because of the manufacturing process. He also pointed out that every vaccine I had received as an infant/toddler/child probably contained thimerosal. After the discussion and the realization that he might not get any additional H1N1 vaccine, we decided to go forward with the injections. I held Sam, he cried. Ben didn't even flinch when he got his shot -- but watched his arm and the needle -- and then was so curious, he tried to take the syringe. No bandaids -- Ben has had a reaction (even to latex-free!) -- and they both seem to be feeling just fine, thank goodness.

All in all, I would have preferred that the boys receive the thimerosal-free vaccine, but without that option, I do think we tried to make the best choice for our boys. The veracity of this virus, combined with the fact that they were 32-weekers (and that Ben received several medications for his breathing after he was born -- I only found that out recently!) made it seem like vaccinating was the right choice. Being a parent is hard!
3 comments:
you are such a great mom....and yes, being a parent is hard.....why do you think are so many crappy parents out there?!!
okay, so ben isn't afraid of a shot....but goats?!
I'm really proud of you! I decided to NOT get Kam the H1N1 and I still wonder if it was the smartest decision. I agree. Parenting is HARD, but God knew how well you'd do so he doubly blessed you. :)
Better watch out, Ben may be asking for a tattoo in a few years!!! =)
I agree that it is difficult to be an adult and make decisions for yourself, but having to be responsible for a child makes the process that much more difficult. I feel certain that you did your research, weighed your options, and based upon possible complications this was the best choice.
I think parenting can be easy if you just go off 'popular belief' or what you read/watch on TV without really doing research, asking questions, and listening to your gut reaction.
Elaine
Post a Comment