
Today is Day 5 of the South Beach challenge. It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be, although I am now required to actually plan meals in advance, and I have a much longer prep-time than I did before. That seems to be working out pretty well because Sam and Ben like to sit in their high chairs and watch me chop vegetables and cook (although they always want to share whatever it is that I'm eating!). The first few days were a real wake-up call in terms of what I had been eating without even thinking about the food going in my mouth (the constant snacking while the boys eat) -- but that habits seems to have been broken. Yeah! I don't think I've actually lost any weight yet (not the goal, anyway), but I definitely feel "tighter" in my stomach/hips area, and I feel like my waist is re-emerging. The South Beach books claim that you lose belly fat first, and it seems to be true. I've modified the eating plan a bit to fit my needs, so I'm not expecting the "immediate 8 to 12 pound weight loss" the book discusses. For example, the eating plan limits dairy servings to 2 servings per day during the first 2 weeks. After being pregnant with twins and pumping for an entire year, I can't limit my dairy, I am trying to replenish the calcium that was leached for my bones! I definitely consume more than 2 servings of cheese or soymilk or plain yogurt each day, and I'm fine with that modification. I'm also eating more fats -- almonds, peanut butter -- because I eat so few types of meat, and I am struggling with other sources of quick protein.
The initial 8 to 12 pound weight loss that most people experience is also based on absolutely horrible eating habits -- white bread, fast food, etc -- and because I ate very healthy before starting the program (just very carb-heavy), I wasn't expecting the drastic, immediate results.
We shall see how it goes, I will be excited to start adding *real* carbs back into my diet soon! I can eat beans, chickpeas, etc -- but no bread right now.
2 comments:
I know. I saw that on that last picture, but I put it up anyway because I was so disappointed with the way the other 20 turned out! Your boys are darling! How old are they now?
I'm impressed by your discipline! Currently, I am in love with carbs and am slightly revolted by anything else. If I could eat a bagel for every meal I'd be happy (I only let myself have them on Sunday mornings, luckily.) Maybe you could pass a little bit of the determination and drive this way? :)
Post a Comment