Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Some people ...

I don't know why women feel the need to be mean to and critical of other women. I find it absurd -- we *struggle* to gain equality with men, but our worst enemies are other women. I just can't figure it out.

I brought the boys out to Kohl's today to find them some sneakers. It was raining and chilly here today, but we needed to get out. Since Sam has learned to say "GO" and wave bye-bye, I feel compelled (or guilty!) to bring them places when he asks to GO! Anyway, I didn't want to go to the mall, and that is the only place with a parking garage, so off to Kohl's we went. I unloaded the stroller in the rain, and then put on the protective shield. I absolutely LOVE my Maclaren stroller, and being a European brand, the stroller came with a bunch of accessories, like the plastic weather cover. When I was living in Madrid, I always saw people on the Metro with their covered strollers, and it makes perfect sense -- if you don't have a garage and you have to bring your child out in the elements, why not cover him/her so that s/he doesn't get wet, cold, etc? The weather-shield is one of the things that helped us get through this winter -- I could still bring the boys out places even in the wind or snow (a HUGE help at the rest areas on I-90 in the Berkshire Mountains on our trips from CT to Syracuse).

Anyway, as I was pushing the babies, this women commented not very quietly to her companion, "That is SO strange." And stared directly at me. Like I was doing something horrible and unmotherly. Let me be clear -- the plastic cover is not air-proof, the babies aren't in any danger when covered by the plastic shield! I was annoyed by the comment, but brushed it off, thinking the woman was probably old and bitter that she didn't have a fabulous set of twins.

In the store, I had to park the double stroller in one of the main aisles because the racks are too close together to fit the stroller between then (which means that Kohl's isn't actually handicap accessible because the stroller is the same width as a wheelchair). I had the babies parked and they were playing with a pair of shorts we were purchasing -- and I walked probably 20 feet away. They could clearly see me, I could see them, they were fine -- but the sock rack was not reachable with the stroller. This younger, pregnant woman gave me the most disgusted look I have received in quite some time -- like I should have been immediately reported to the authorities for abandoning my children, and that I'm a horrible, worthless mother. I tried to brush off her nastiness, too, by thinking that she probably doesn't have any kids yet, and surely doesn't have a set of twins, so she has no way of understanding just how difficult it is to navigate a store with a double stroller.

After the death look from the pregnant ice queen, the boys and I decided that we'd had enough shopping and came home. Really, I don't understand the judgments these women clearly felt were appropriate to pass about me. What a frustrating trip!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

My jogging stroller has a weather protector and I love it. when it's cold and I am walking the dogs, I snuggle Dylan up in a blanket and put the cover over him. I have never thought it was strange, I love it.

Julie said...

Some people are just so miserable with their own lives, that they feel the need to bring others down. It is hard to not let those negative exeriences bother you...I know! (Especially when it is about your children, you probably take extra offense to the comments and looks). What helps me deal with situations like these is to think about how wonderful my life is, and how much their lives must suck! (Does that sound nasty?)

I must admit, that I have given an annoyed look in the past at tantrumming/bratty kids.....but that's about it. For example, the other day in Wegman's, I noticed a little girl (2 1/2 yrs maybe)continually grabbing food off of the shelves while her mother said, "Please put that down.", "Someone is not being a good listener!", "If you don't come here, then we will put those popsicles back". I knew exactly where this family was in the store at all times.....and if you have ever been in the DeWitt Wegman's, you would know that this is quite telling of how many times I heard the mother pleading with her child. The worst part about it was that the little girl was wearing a tutu, and everyone thought she was just adorable....well she wasn't fooling me!

Maybe I AM one of those negative look-givers:)

Becky said...

NYC-ers are very familiar with the weather sheild... you would get no evil looks here.
I have to admit I have had inward evil feelings toward a mom (back when I didn't have Colin). She was a young mom with a small infant who was really fussing, and it was clear to me that the poor thing was overheating in her snow suit inside the store. Mom took off her jacket but left baby in a full snowsuit inside the stroller. I understand those puppies aren' easy to get on and off but she could have at least unzipped it! Since I was feeling annoyed I'm sure the look showed on my face... So I'm guilty.

Jennifer said...

Damn...the nasties are out in full force lately -- I've run into a few this week unfortunately too!

Who hasn't seen the rain covers for strollers?! I seriously wonder about people sometimes. As for the expectant mother in Kohls, you did the right thing...brush it off. It's SO hard to do sometimes. you may want to say "I walked all of 10 feet, what's the big deal?" to her, but it's totally not worth it. Sorry you had such a bad day -- I hope you have a great weekend though with those two little cuties!

Julie said...

do i get to look forward to nasty looks after the baby is born? I feel that people are always sympathetic to a pregnant woman....but as soon as that kid comes out i guess it's no longer "cute". Your boys are so pleasant, those people had no reason to give you a hard time. I hope that my baby is as content as yours are!