
I have always wanted the boys to take swimming lessons, but up to age 3, all of the local pools require one adult per child, and most of those lessons were during the middle of the day, which made them completely unworkable. I remember taking one session of swimming lessons when I was around the boys' age, and I was always afraid the instructor was going to let me go under water -- and never took any additional lessons. I think swimming is such a good physical outlet and being in the water is calming, so I hope the boys enjoy their lessons and swimming. Plus, with the potential the Ben is epileptic, I want to make sure that Sam is a good swimmer in case anything ever happened and he needed to help Ben out of the water.
We started classes 5 weeks ago on Saturday mornings, and the boys were so excited for their first lesson. Their instructor for the first few sessions was very soft-spoken and gentle, and the boys immediately took to her. There are two other children in their class, and they all seemed very comfortable with the instructor, and cooperated with her during class.
Well ... A new instructor took over during class number 3 -- and I think she regularly forgets that the kids in her class are 3 years old and not 10 years old! While doing their "kicks and scoops" in the water while holding a noodle under their arms, she expects they will be able to do it themselves -- and even the children who have been taking swimming lessons since infancy are scared! Ben acts like a baby monkey and clings on to the instructor -- and when he does his "scoops," he more often than not scoops directly into the instructor's cleavage. Sigh. Sam always has a giant smile on his face, but would much prefer the instructor pull him around in the water.At the end of session 3, the kids all got to jump into the pool, which had clearly been the highlight of the class. Each kid jumped -- expecting some assistance -- but the instructor let each go completely under water, each child coming up sputtering and grasping for the side of the pool.
Class 4 went okay, but before their class on Saturday, Sam made it clear that he did not want to go swimming, and refused to take off his clothes to get ready for class. Ben was nervous and didn't want to participate in the class, but sat on the steps to the pool. Ben eventually did get in the water and did a few things, but made it VERY clear that he did not want to go under water. Sam got in the water once, but got out quickly and was a bit weepy, asking just to sit on my lap, instead.
I think it is important for the boys to be comfortable in the water, and to know how to get out of the water, so the lessons are important. Plus, they are enrolled for 8 sessions, so we need to at least finish out this program. I am considering joining the public pool in my town, which offers a number of lessons, in hopes that the boys will be more comfortable with a gentler teacher once again ...



2 comments:
I would definitely write a letter to whom ever is in charge. It is one thing to be no nonsense and another to traumatize the poor kids. Colin will likely take solo lessons this summer. I only hope the mommy(or daddy) and me classes for the last three years will give him confidence to deal. I was terrified of the deep end as a kid so I totally understand being nervous of the water.
I would definitely make it clear to the instructor that you aren't comfortable with her teaching approach. The object isn't to petrify the children -- they're only 3!
On another note, while in Disney, we stayed at Silver Lake Resort which is a timeshare that my parents have been using for 15 years. I think that staying at the park is a good idea because of the convenience (plus you can arrange for your baggage to go directly to the hotel as opposed to taking it yourself - Disney thinks of EVERYTHING!). I'm excited for you all and hope you have fun planning! My boys were so much better behaved than I could have ever hoped for and I'm really happy that we took the trip at this age!
Post a Comment