Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Potty awareness!

We reached a major milestone on January 9 ... Ben was sitting on his frog potty, just hanging out, as is fairly normal, when ... all of a sudden ... peepee in the potty! Ben was a little nervous at first, I think he thought he was going to get in trouble. I, of course, clapped and cheered, and then we dumped out the potty, flushed and washed hands -- and he was very excited and very proud. Sam was very excited, too, although I don't think he had any idea what we were cheering about! Over the past week and a half, Ben has gone on the potty once a day or so -- certainly not using the potty regularly, but he seems to understand what he is supposed to do. He even peed on the potty for Mimi while she and Peepaw were visiting while Daddy was in the Dominican Republic for his brother's wedding!

The boys are still very young for potty training -- only 22 months (and that doesn't take into account the fact that they were born 2 months prematurely), so I'm not expecting they will be potty trained at any time soon. I am, however, very excited that Ben is showing such an interest and seems to be gaining control of his bodily functions and will tell us when he needs to use the potty.

I'm not sure what role the cloth diapers played in all of this. I would guess that they helped Ben learn when he did pee because he would feel wet, but we haven't used them in several weeks due to a septic tank issue and a moratorium on excess laundry (ah, the joys of living in an old home that was improperly maintained for a number of years!).

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good job, Ben!

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

Interest is half the battle!
Elaine

KHS said...

Woooohoooo! So excited for you and Ben! What a great milestone! And I hear you on the excessive laundry cloth diapers create!

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

Do the kids still make the ppssssss sound when they are at the toilet? I know you said they did that months ago.

I am sure if one starts earlier and is getting a lot of attention, the other will follow. Peer pressure is a powerful thing.