Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Tail lights
It has happened a few times now. As I sit at the light, waiting to turn onto the highway, I see the red Ac*ra on the corner to my right, with a green light and heading straight onto the highway. A quick glance at the license plate confirms, the car is the (ex)husband's, and my boys are tucked neatly inside. I drum my fingers on the steering wheel, waiting impatiently for the light to turn, and growing more anxious as each car that pulls onto the highway separates me from that red SUV. Finally, the light changes, and I sit in traffic, waiting for it to clear a bit so I can change lanes and catch up to that car. I spend a few minutes weaving through traffic, and eventually find myself directly next to the car. I honk my horn, the (ex)husband looks over and waves, rolls down the back window, the boys and I wave frantically to each other, blow kisses, yell that we love each other -- and before I know it, I'm at my exit, and the boys go zooming past. All I see are tail lights, as I pull off the highway with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes, knowing that those few seconds, going 60MPH on the highway, will be the closest I am to my boys that day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Oh Erin... You have been heavy on my heart and mind lately, and now I can see why. I'm praying for you lady, it's the most I can do right now, but know that if you need or want an ear, you can always call me.
xo, Erin. You're an amazing mom.
Oy, Erin, my heart goes out to you. This post is the most poignant thing I've read in quite a while... well said. I wish, for your sake, that it ended with "and then I wake up." :(
Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you guys.
thank you for being brave enough to share these thoughts on your blog. i admire your honesty.
Post a Comment