Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Happy Birthday to me!


Yesterday was my birthday -- 31, as Ben told everyone at school (which I preferred to Sam's comment, as he was telling everyone I am 71!). On Monday night, the boys were with their father, so I went to dinner with my law school friends, drank way too much 1/2 price bottles of wine, and laughed more than I've laughed in a long time. Tuesday morning was quiet -- the first quiet birthday I've had in 4 years. It was eerily quiet, but I took some extra time to wear a nice outfit to school, to actually style my hair, and simply enjoyed being able to take a few minutes to focus on taking care of myself. After work, I took the leftover birthday cake from my work party, picked up my little boys, and spent two hours playing out in the kiddie pool with the boys and our neighbors. It was a wonderful, relaxing evening, and I really couldn't have asked for a better day.


Over the past few years, I have always felt sad and homesick on my birthday. I attributed it to possibly feeling weird about "getting older," but I could never really put my finger on why I felt so homesick. Yesterday was so telling, and made me realize all over again what a positive, fresh start the boys and I are making in our new life.

4 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

so glad you had a wonderful birthday with positive memories to reflect on.

Kristeen said...

:) Just a smile. Knowing you're happy makes me smile :)

Becky said...

Hooray for happy birthdays! Can't wait to see you!

Julie said...

there is no such thing as drinking way too much wine on your birthday:)

HAPPY birthday!