When visiting my mom, she was dressing as a rat for Halloween -- and Sam LOVES rats. So he decided he wanted to be a rat.
Then, Mimi and I took the boys to a costume store for inspiration. Ben picked out a costume. What did he pick out? An elephant. Ironic, given his father's career, but humorous!
To balance, I picked up a donkey outfit for Sam.
On the Saturday of Halloween weekend, we took the boys to a Halloween parade and trick or treating through businesses in the area -- and as I was getting the boys dressed, Sam saw the sequined devil ears in the box full of Halloween decorations/costumes from last year. And he fell in love with that stylish headband. The donkey ears and rat nose costume went out the window -- and Sam decided to dress as a devil.
Ben wanted no part of wearing a costume, so I just put his grey jacket on him and told him he could not participate in getting candy if he did not wear his elephant ears. He complied, reluctantly. But was not happy about it.
On Halloween, we did not take the boys Trick or Treating. The Husband had a huge event with the candidate he works with, so I decided to bring the boys. Sure, it was Halloween -- but this was a chance to see President Clinton! I recruited two friends to help me at the event, and the Husband got us excellent seats -- second row! (can you see the President at the podium?)
I pulled out all the distractions I could think of -- stickers, coloring, using the pens from my purse -- and even ring pops. By the time the President took the stage, Ben was getting bored and antsy, and he knew his father was somewhere close by, and the fact that he couldn't be with him was making him angry. And Ben's impatience was making me sweat. Once the President enters the room, no one is allowed to leave until the President has left the premise (for obvious safety reasons) -- and the idea of being trapped in a room with 2,000 people, Bill Clinton, and a temper-tantruming toddler had me in a cold sweat.

(Wow, am I scolding in this picture, or what?!)
A friend of the Husband's tried to help out -- by giving Ben a peanut butter cup. While I appreciated the gesture, I did not appreciate the ensuing mess, and the clean-up without water.

Sam loved the mascot for the college where the event was held. He followed the Hawk around for quite a while, harassing the poor bird, and constantly grabbing the kid's leg.
All in all, the President Clinton event went very well, and the boys were very well-behaved and I received many compliments from people who told me that they could NOT believe that I brought two 2-year olds to the event -- but that they were shocked at how well-behaved the boys were. That made me feel better, as I wiped buckets of sweat from my forehead.
In between all of the Halloween things with the boys and the campaign events, I did manage to go to a Halloween party hosted by a close friend and her husband. I had a great time, and managed to put together a costume exclusively from things I found in my sister's closet when the boys and I were visiting my parents. It is great having a sister who dresses in a Bohemian-chic fashion!



2 comments:
LOVE it. I love how fickle toddlers are. They love it then they hate it.. What fun it is to keep up.
I have no interest in bringing Nolan trick or treating at a young age. I want him to dress up and we can go to my mom's to hand out candy or go to local businesses when they do a safe halloween walk for kids but as for night halloween, I will gladly push it off as long as I can.
Looks like you had quite a busy halloween weekend. The party, for the adults, looks like fun!
Post a Comment