Wednesday, March 31, 2010

2 years old!

The 2nd birthday marks a major milestone in the life of any preemie -- because as of that day, the child is no longer considered a preemie in terms of his/her development, and should be entirely caught up with those children born at full-term.

Our pediatrician never coddled us with the boys' preemie classification, and we usually did things with the boys, such as shots and starting solids, based on their actual age, not adjusted age (seeing they were born 2 months early).

At the boys' 2-year appointment, they are both around 50% for a 24-month old child for both height and weight (27lb13oz and 34.5 inches for Sam, and 27lb2oz and 34.5 inches for Ben), which is a huge accomplishment, seeing they were 4lb7oz and 4lb2oz at birth and not even on the growth charts! They are also well beyond what is expected of a child at 2-years old in terms of speech and development (such as understanding tired/cold, counting to 3, speaking in multi-word sentences, drawing circles), and we are very pleased with their development! I would like to think that some of this is attributable to the year of pumping, but I'm not so sure that is the case.

All in all, we are very happy to be done with the boys' preemie classification. Yeah for toddlers!

** Seeing you got the last one right, can you tell who is who in this picture, Becky? **

4 comments:

Becky said...

Yep! This is an easy one. Ben is on top. I love this game!

Jennifer said...

They've come a very long way! They've also got a great mom who has guided them throughout :)

Julie said...

hey!!! no fair! i wanted to be the first one to guess....but i know that ben is the one on top.

it's interesting because when i look at pics of ben and sam when they were little i can always tell which one is ben. if i look at one of them and i am not sure, it is usually sam. but i can spot ben and his hair line from a mile away! now, if you put hats on them, i might not be able to tell.

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I agree with Becky. I can tell by the eyes even though I don't know the boys very well. From seeing them in pictures and in person I would not know they were preemies as they are healthy, strong, and playful toddlers.