Monday, September 28, 2009

PB&J!

The boys' pediatrician gives the "go ahead" for peanut butter at 18 months -- so the boys have finally had their first peanut butter and jelly! Our pediatrician takes a pretty moderate road in introducing nuts -- some studies suggest 9 months for introduction, some suggest delaying until age 3, some say pregnant women should eat nuts for early exposure for the fetus, others suggest that pregnant women avoid nuts altogether.







The boys weren't as thrilled with their sandwiches as I would have expected, but did eat some before deciding to finger paint with the peanut butter.

I watched the boys pretty carefully following their first few days of peanuts, and neither has seemed to have any adverse reactions, which is a relief. Because of the other allergies that have already presented (dairy for Ben, Amoxicillin, Augmentin), I had been a bit concerned that one of the boys would have a nut allergy, but it seems like we're thankfully in the clear!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

yummm, pb&j! Hopefully they'll enjoy their second sandwich more than their first :-)

Kristeen said...

I'm so glad it went well!! Peanut allergies are so scary--There seems to be peanut in everything. My doctors never said anything about nuts so I still eat them... hopefully that'll work out okay!

Becky said...

We got the go ahead for peanuts at a year so Colin has been enjoying pb and j for a while. He also loves it on crackers. I actually started with an organic peanut butter cereal before I gave it full strength. Glad you got through that one without drama!