Friday, March 27, 2009

My brave little patient!

Today was Sam's dreaded ear-tubes procedure. We had to be at the hospital early -- 6am -- and Sam was not allowed to eat after midnight due to the anesthesia. Smartly, however, Roy and I decided that Sam should drink a bottle at 11:30pm to help quell his morning hunger. Sam woke up around 5:20 this morning, and didn't seem to care that he wasn't eating a bottle. Ben, however, decided to sleep-in -- and still wasn't awake when Roy, Sam and I left (the babysitter came to stay with him).

We spent about an hour in pre-op, spoke to the anesthesiologist and his nurse (named Ben!), the ENT doctor, and a nurse, and then it was time for his surgery. I was allowed in the OR with Sam -- and had been warned by the nurses and our doctor that the process would be more traumatic for me than for him. The anesthesiologist was fabulous, though -- instead of putting Sam on the table (and being held down by the nurses), the doctor let Sam sit in my lap while he was being put under. He definitely cried, but at least he could hold on to my arms and snuggle into my chest while being put under. I would have felt horribly if he were on the table, screaming, and looking at me to rescue him! As I left the OR, the nurses commented that I get the "Supermom" award because I wasn't even slightly upset -- the other moms that we saw coming out of the ORs were all crying -- a lot -- and I can't blame them, but it wasn't as traumatic as I expected. I also really, really liked the anesthesiologist and Ben, the nurse.

About 15 minutes later, the ENT doctor came out to update us and said things had gone well. Sam was in recovery -- we could hear him screaming, poor guy. After talking to the anesthesiologist again and waiting about 20 minutes, they finally brought us to see Sam. He was crying so hard -- and the nurses hadn't given him his blanket (he has a security blanket that he just loves), as I had asked them to do in recovery. I finally got his blanket for him, and he settled down immediately, drank some pear juice, and took a nap in my arms.

We stayed in recovery for about an hour and were then discharged. Sam was very grumpy, but hopefully his long nap in his swing (with his blanket, of course), he will feel better.

So glad that is over!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

What's up with our husbands and the crazy name suggestions?! I actually think it's kind of funny though! Your little Godfather boys ;-)

Poor little guy!! You did a good job holding it together for him -- I definitely think kids can sense our discomfort. I hope he heals quickly and painlessly. Enjoy your weekend!

Tara K said...

Poor Sam. I'm so glad he did well! Big hugs to all of you~

The Hanes Fam said...

I was thinking of you guys yesterday, hoping everything was going well. Hopefully the short traumatic time for him will be well worth the outcome!!!